Monday, October 10, 2011

Blogs vs Credibility


This comic is a fantastic representation to how blogging can and does work.  For many people, they blog personally about what they're doing, what they've learned and their life in general, almost like a diary.  Some people do a diary-style blog that is satirical and/or shares culture.  You can view my sister's hilarious and educational blog here:  http://farfromthesticks.com/

The above comic shows the less amusing (more annoying) participants of the 'blogosphere'.  The character above is blogging, on a daily basis, about world news and events.  The second character asks if he is credible or has the ability to say something worthwhile.  The blogging character tells him that really doesn't matter... It's a joke, and a funny one, but hundreds of thousands of people do in fact, blog about nothing or radically incorrect data or absurd opinions.  Blogs have given anyone with a computer and the internet the ability to speak their mind widely, and they do.  Obviously not everything we, as humans, think is worth writing... or reading.  

I've always been skeptical of blogs and usually only read those that are either made to be satirical, or are based and cross referenced to credited sources, such as linked to major news papers.  But even so, what they've written is usually an opinion on those things, so it's often either biased or misconstrued.  The best use of blogs I've found so far is as a stepping stone.  If I'm looking for a articles on a specific topic, a particular blog may have already searched out a dozen articles that I will find useful.  In all, I wouldn't trust a blog for academia as far as I could throw it... which nowhere... or not at all, because they aren't tangible and their writers aren't accredited.  Would I read one for amusement, even if the writer may not have meant for it to be so?  Definitely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment